PAGES

SLIDER

making sense of it all

Monday, May 2, 2011

Oh my!  Here it is, three weeks after the Empowered to Connect conference and I still haven't posted anything that we've been learning.  But, I can tell you, we've been learning a LOT!

Karyn Purvis says that there are three things that every adoptive parent should have a good handle on:  the nature of attachment, sensory issues and the neurochemistry of fear.  We've been watching videos and reading books on all of these topics and are learning so very much.  Especially interesting to us, is how fear affects people (especially our little ones who have had a lot of trauma in their young lives).  I'll post more about that later.  In this post, I just want to touch on a few things that we've been learning about sensory processing issues and what we've been doing that seems to help. 

First of all, it's been very helpful to understand that there are different types of sensory processing disorder.  Two of our children had more extreme sensory processing issues.  Both of them have experienced some significant healing in this area, but our little guy still struggles a bit.  It's interesting that these two children had some similar difficulties, but also had some unique struggles.  I now undertand that they had two different types of sensory processing issues.

We've been doing some tactile activities to help our very ticklish boy...notice how he doesn't want his fingers to touch the finger paints.  Instead, he simply slaps the paper.  Deep touch is much easier for him to handle than gentle, feathery touch.

And just cause this is cute...



This little guy's bed(s)--yes, he has two of them--are all about being surrounded.  I'm planning on buying a weighted blanket for him too.  Check out sweet Aiden enjoying his weighted blanket in this post.

 




We've used brushing therapy with a lot of success.  You need to have an O.T. show you how to do this.  It's well worth it!  Our little guy can only tolerate a haircut if we're consistent in using this therapy.



We set up a "crash and bump" in our yard.  This is great for everyone!   It includes all of the different types of sensory input, and it's just plain fun.  I'm so grateful for my hubby, who embraces all sorts of projects that benefit the children.




Well, I know that this is just a start.  Please let me know if you have any questions about sensory processing issues, or, better yet, pick up a copy of The Out of Sync Child by Carol Kranowitz.  I'm excited to learn even more at the Trust-based Relational Intervention training in Fort Worth in June.  Woohoo!  God brought about the opportunity to attend this training and I can't wait! 
On another note, thanks to all of you who have been praying!  We keep getting encouraging news and I will be very glad for the day when I can share it all with you!

image signature

5 comments:

Nikolyn said...

this is great stuff, Sarah! We did the brush years ago with our oldest, simply b/c she was so sensitive she couldn't wear socks and shoes. She outgrew it, thank goodness. Your kids are lucky to have you for a mom!

Waitingfaithfully said...

Thanks Sarah, for sharing from what you are learning (and have learned from past experience). I can't wait to hear more.

Praying for what concerns you and tickled about your encouraging news!

Love and blessings~

Tina

Shonni said...

Great post!!! It is also encouraging to me to know that we aren’t walking this parenting path alone!! Great crash and bump by the way!!!!

Difference2This1 said...

Ordered the book tonight..thank you :)

The Byrd's Nest said...

I have just started reading that book for Emma. I wish I would have read it when she first came home. Praying for all of you, although I wouldn't wish these types of issues on any other family...I am thankful that we are not alone in this walk:)

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger