PAGES

SLIDER

School Days

Monday, September 14, 2009

We're into our second week of school and things are going well. I thought that I'd give a little rundown of what we are doing, mostly for those of you who also homeschool. I love to hear about what other people do and how they arrange their days, so hopefully this is helpful for someone.

The main curriculum that we use is My Father's World (for history, geography and Bible). I enjoy the ease of this curriculum and appreciate their emphasis on missions and the Bible. I've heard David Hazell (who created the curriculum) speak and was so impressed by his zeal for God and serving others. They give much of the proceeds from their curriculum sales to Bible translation.

My Father's World uses a unit study approach. This year we're studying Creation to the Greeks. Five of the children from our church (three of them live next door) come over two times a week to study with us. We have a fun time!

After school on the first day, Lily, Grace, Teresa and Elayne hadn't had enough school time. Here they are "playing" school.

As part of the curriculum this year, we are celebrating the Jewish Biblical feast days. This past Friday we had a Sabbath Celebration. The symbolism and all of the details that point to Christ are amazing.

The Challah (bread) covering symbolizes the dew that was on the ground in the morning. There are always two loaves of bread on the Sabbath table. This symbolizes the double portion of manna that God gave to the Israelites on the Sabbath. Each family made their own Challah covering. Sorry I didn't get pictures of any people. Next up is Rosh Hashanah. I'll be sure to get some pictures then.

On Mondays, the four older kids go to an Options program. They can choose classes, such as art, p.e., dance, music, destination imagination, science, etc. They started going to Options last year, because we wanted them to interact with other children (especially non-christians). We want our children to be lights and not to completely isolate them from those who need to hear about Jesus! Here they are on their first day (today!).

Grace and I have some special one-on-one time on Options days. Grace is loving "school." I think that she'll be reading soon!
We are using Apologia for science and so far it has been wonderful. My friend, Lisa, comes to our house to lead the experiments. I'll be sure to post some pictures soon. We like Spelling Power for spelling. The kids have really improved in their spelling using this program. The three older ones go to my friend, Meredith's, house on Wednesday and Friday afternoons to do writing. We're super-excited about Andrew Pudewa's writing program. It's supposed to be really good for boys, and so far that seems to be true. We're using a generic grammar course this year. We got it free through Options and it seems to be as good as anything else.
I hope that your school year (homeschooling, public school or private school) is going great! We're certainly having a fun time!

image signature

5 comments:

Cari said...

I really enjoyed reading about your homeschooling courses and how your family go "here and there" depending on the subject. Studying the Jewish traditions is really interesting. Our previous youth pastor set up a meal for our church once and explained all the meanings. I wish I could remember them now. Time for review! :) I hope you guys have a great school year!

Gwen said...

I think it's great how you network with other families to share ideas and enrich your curriculum. As a public school teacher, I've often wondered how homeschooling works as the kids get older.
So it was interesting for me to read about how you manage this. You are an amazing and dedicated mom and teacher! :)
Hope you continue to have a great school year!

Difference2This1 said...

I loved reading this post! It sounds like you have a network/support system that helps create a great place to learn, not just for your kids, but those around you! It sounds amazing! Is there room to squeeze in one more house on that cul-de-sac!? :)

Kim said...

Sounds like your homeschool is off to a great start. I,too, love to hear how others set up there school days. it helps me to organize mine in better ways.
I love how you and your friends have a network and work together on different subjects. I keep hoping for that in my area.
Kim(& my six chili pepppers)

Anonymous said...

Ooohhh...there are some really cute little boys in your homeschool class Sarah. :o)

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger