PAGES

SLIDER

Keeping Sane (part 5)

Friday, January 16, 2009

In order to consistently respond to my children in love, I know that I need some time and space away from them. There are 3 groups of people who particularly refresh me for the task of parenting.

1) Besides having daily time with the Lord, it is absolutely essential for me to have more extended times of prayer/study. As I've mentioned before, David and I trade off Fridays as prayer days. I love to walk and pray, and then make my way over to Panera to read/study and pray. What a gift this time is to me. I can pray over things that God has been revealing to me over the past couple of weeks, and really take the time to study and think about what He wants me to do in response to His voice. God, of course, is my true refreshment in all areas.

2) Similarly, I also need extended times with my sweet and wonderful husband. We have in depth conversations almost every day after the kids go to bed, but there is something special about having uninterupted time away from the house (and before I get too sleepy!). Since we have been home from China, we have only gone out on 2 dates and Grace has joined us for both of them. This is good and necessary for now, but it is only for a season. I know that the best thing for David's and my relationship is to have regular (at least twice a month) date nights.

This is something that I struggled with in the past. We have always tried to live simply so that we could give to others. I wasn't sure how paying a babysitter and going out to eat fit into simple living. Now, I realize that I was motivated out of guilt and not love. I understand now that it is necessary and good for David's and my relationship to have this time together. God is not short on resources. We have found that the more that we spend for love's sake (to be together or to give to others), the more that He gives to us to give in love again.

3) The third group of people that I must spend time with are sisters in the Lord. It is so good to have the encouragement, exhortation and love of godly sisters. At the moment, unfortunately, this is not occuring regularly. I am confident, however, that God will bring more godly women into my life who will be able to share their hearts and lives. I am asking Him for this, and I believe that He will answer my prayer.

What sorts of things do you do that refresh you for the task of parenting your children? I'd love to hear some of your thoughts and ideas.

2 comments:

Gwen said...

I love your comments about keeping sane. I agree with you, especially about finding daily quiet time to just be still and pray. We live in a very noisy world, don't we? And also I live in a noisy house!! :)
We, too, have been struggling to find time for date nights, especially since we've been home with Sarah. But I'm with you-- I think spending time together as a couple is very important for a healthy and happy marriage. As Sarah grows more secure and comfortable, I think we'll be able to find more time for this. To everything there is a season, right?

Waitingfaithfully said...

Sarah,

Once again you have blessed my heart . . .

Your words . . ." God is not short on resources. We have found that the more that we spend for love's sake (to be together or to give to others), the more that He gives to us to give in love again." . . are a true and beautiful reminder of God's generous love towards us!

All that you shared is so very important . . . I do believe that you should write a book dear friend!

Thank you again for sharing your wisdom!

Love and blessings ~

Tina

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger