PAGES

SLIDER

Keeping Sane (part 3)

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

"Never let anyone come to you without coming away better and happier. Everyone should see goodness in your face, in your eyes, in your smile." Mother Teresa

"The thoughtfulness of Jesus, Mary and Joseph was so great that they made Nazareth a privileged abode of the Most High." Mother Teresa

I love Mother Teresa. The thing that I probably appreciate about her the most is her willingness to love each person. It has been said by people who were with her, that she focused all of her attention on the person whom she was with at the time. She, herself, said "Every person is for me the only person in the world at that moment."

Then, there's her smile. From what I have heard, joy was always apparent in both she and the sisters who served along with her. That is the thing that drew people to them--the joy of the Lord.

This kind of love keeps us sane. Smiling at our children, enjoying our children, laughing at their silliness and applauding their growth in maturity keep us sane. The number one thing that can ruin a day for me is my own attitude. If I can't smile and truly enjoy my children, the day may as well be over before it starts.

Sometimes this is a discipline for me. I smile at my children, but do not feel cheerful. Sometimes, I have to make a special point to smile at one of them, because I am irritated by something childish that they have done. This, for me, is absolutely crucial in order for our relationships to stay strong. Smiling at them keeps things sane. It helps them to see and experience my love for them. And, it helps me to have a change of attitude.

One blog that I enjoy reading and that encourages me in this area is Tonya's blog over at www.thekissackfamily.blogspot.com Even though I have never met Tonya, it is always apparent to me that she truly enjoys her children. I am absolutely sure that she smiles at them A LOT. Go check it out and be encouraged. Then, smile at your own children (and your spouse!!). What a great way to keep things sane and show the joy and love of the Lord each day.

2 comments:

Waitingfaithfully said...

Okay Sarah, I am SMILING reading this . . . practicing for tomorrow when we start a new day, where mama smiles MORE, especially at my teenager! Thank you dear one for your beautiful encouragement!

Love the Mother Tersea quotes. In fact I think I will put the first one (Never let anyone come to you without coming away better . . .) on my bathroom mirror. What profound words she spoke, what a difference she made in God's great big world!

Oh Lord, let everyone see goodness in my face, in my eyes, in my smile. . . not just when I feel like it, but always.

Thank you friend!

Blessings~

Tina

Difference2This1 said...

What an encouraging post (as well as your other sanity posts!!). I love it!

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger