PAGES

SLIDER

"We could pray, Mom."

Saturday, December 6, 2008

Yesterday, after we were done with school for the day, I got the kids all bundled up (it snowed here!), to go to the library. As we were heading out to the car, I realized that my keys were not in my purse. Since I remembered that Yana had used them to get the mail the night before, I called David (Yana was working with him), to see if she remembered where she put them. She did not remember and while I was talking to David about where to find the hidden key, Rosemary ran out of the house and Grace started crying because she thought that I was leaving without her.

I said goodbye to David, asked Adam to get Rosemary, picked up Grace and hunted for the hidden key. When I couldn't find that either, I began looking for the lost key again. I have to say that it wasn't one of my best moments, as I was frustrated and slightly irritated. So, when my sweet daughter suggested, "We could pray, Mom", I mustered up my best smile and said, "Yes. We definitely could do that, Lily." But, to tell you the truth, I didn't pray. I just fussed (in my mind, it's true, but it was still fussing, never-the-less).

I called David again and he offered to come home to give me his key. We really needed to get to the library, so I said that he should do that. I still felt irritated, though. I hung up the phone and Jadon came in and announced, "I found the key, Mom! I was praying."

Precious Jadon had found the key while shoveling the snow in our driveway. There was a good 10 inches of snow and the pile was at least two feet high. God simply chose to show His sweet mercy and kindness in this very little thing. Humbling, to say the least. First of all, God ignored my bad attitude and blessed me despite my fussing. Secondly, my two little ones were more prepared to pray as their first response, than I was.

A similar thing occured in China when Lily was sick. I wanted to give her advil, but she said, "No medicine, Mom. Just prayers." And guess who was completely well the next day?!

And actually, if the humbling truth be told, when Adam was 7 he broke his arm. It was a really bad break and his arm was completely bent out of shape. My first response was, "We have to get him to the doctor!" But, his first response was, "Jesus, please help me!"

Ah, it looks like I am a very slow learner. Thank you, Jesus, that you keep reminding me of your complete and utter trustworthiness in the examples that I have right here in my own home!

3 comments:

Kim said...

WOW...that is awesome....God is AWESOME. Sarah, you may have been fussing at that moment but your children learned to have faith and trust in the Lord by example.

Oh how precious is the faith of a child.

You are a wonderful mother!

I love you my friend,
Kim

Audrey said...

I agree with Kim! You have obviously modeled this behavior and these little cuties are blessing you with the lessons that you have taught them. Way to go, Mom!

Jill and Rick said...

Oh how I love this post! I agree with Kimi; even though you chose to fuss this time, you have taught your children so well.

Jill

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger