PAGES

SLIDER

"Keeping Sane" Part 2 (Keeping a Sense of Humor)

Monday, December 29, 2008

So, Trish (who will soon be traveling to China to adopt precious little Taylor!) got the author of The Love that Keeps us Sane correct. I thought that I was going to be able to trick someone since the book is about St. Therese of Liseaux, but is written by Marc Foley. But Trish was definitely too smart for any trickery! She knew the author and is now on her way to fame and fortune!!!



So, back to the main topic of this post...Yesterday, I spent a serious amount of time in the morning making sure that my children's clothes matched, their teeth were brushed and their hair was combed. I even curled Grace's two inches of hair (can you believe that?!), because she asked me to do it after seeing me curl Lily's hair. They were all looking oh, so sweet when we headed out the door to church.



We were running a little late, and slipped into the church a few minutes after the service started. We were visting a different church because our church has "vacation Sundays" where everyone tries to take vacation time on the same weekend (more about that in a different post).



The lady that I sat next to was very sweet and offered to move down a seat, so that Grace could have her own seat. I noticed, however, when she looked at us, that she couldn't help but staring at Grace's feet. Well, I looked down, and realized that my perfectly dressed daughter was still wearing her slippers! So much for keeping everyone matched and well-groomed!! LOL!



I admit, that keeping a sense of humor is not a strong point for me. I just happen to be a very serious person. I studied philosophy, for goodness sake, and grew up in a very orderly Scandinavian (think stoic here) home. But, I am learning that a sense of humor and "not sweating the small stuff" is essential to "keeping things sane."



This is an area where I definitely know there is a great amount of room for growth! A couple of days ago, Lily told me (after a long afternoon of errands and my telling her that I was really tired) that she preferred when I was "perky" (her word). I can always count on Lily to tell it like it is. And really, if the truth be told, wouldn't we all prefer "perky" to ultra-serious and tired?



So, here's to a little humor in the home! Anyone know any good jokes?!

3 comments:

steffany said...

Oh man, I can just see your face.

If you ever want to learn to not take things so seriously come for a visit to our house, or by a whoopi cushion:)

Seriously though- I know how you must of felt. It sounds like you worked so hard:)

Waitingfaithfully said...

Okay, Grace had slippers on her feet . . . but, all two inches of her hair was curled! You did good! I feel your pain though . . . it's a lot of work to do, and then have one arrive in slippers, isn't it? But if you look at the humorous side of it, you just created a much "perkier" memory of your church visit, then if Grace had been wearing shoes! Thanks Lily, for the dose of reality!

My mom has always, always told us (sometimes in the midst of some pretty tough stuff), "If you don't lose your sense of humor, everything will be okay." I am thankful to have grown up in a household that most would consider a little (or maybe a lot) on the crazy side. It worked for us!

Thanks for the reminder to "lighten up"! Somedays are easier than others to laugh and keep on keeping on . . . and some days laughing is the only thing I have left!

Blessings,

Tina

Trish said...

Yippee, I got it right!!!!! I LOVE to read, I'm a readaholic!!!!! (check out my blog to see what fun we had with the Newsomes)Trish

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger