PAGES

SLIDER

husbands, wives, Christ and the Church

Friday, January 21, 2011

I've had a number of women, recently, ask for adivce/help with their marriages.  As I was pondering how to respond to one such request yesterday, I realized how ridiculous it was for me to give advice...

Why?

Because without the love of my incredible husband, I'm afraid I wouldn't be a very good wife.
Because, if David weren't a servant-leader, I don't think that I'd be a very good follower.
Because, if David didn't love me as Christ loves the Church (albeit not perfectly), I think that our marriage would be a wreck.


So my advice?
 Marry the right kind of man...one who is a servant-leader, one who leads you to the cross, one who loves you like Christ loves the Church. 

hmmm..not such great advice for those who are already married (but really good advice if you're still single!).

So, though I feel pretty limited when giving advice to married women, I have to ponder what all of this means for the Church...

22Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. 23For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything. 25Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her 26to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, 27and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. 28In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29After all, no one ever hated his own body, but he feeds and cares for it, just as Christ does the church— 30for we are members of his body. 31“For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.” 32This is a profound mystery—but I am talking about Christ and the church. 33However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.
(Ephesians 5)


Do you know that it is easy to respond positively to my husband when his heart is set on love and service?
Really easy.

Dear friends,
Christ's heart is always set on service.
His love is perfect all of the time.
So, what's wrong with the Church?

Oh, my heart breaks when I think of it.
We are like a wayward wife,
who despite the love of a wonderful husband,
still chooses to turn her back on him.
He has made it so easy for us.
He has given us all that we need
He has given His life out of love for His body--the Church.

Dear ones, I am going to say something now that might be a bit shocking...
God is not primarily concerned about our individual rights.
He is not even primarily concerned about us as individuals.

Friends, Christ gave Himself up for the Church--for His beautiful bride.
Friends, He gave you gifts for the beautifying of His Church.
Friends, He is coming back one day--for His Church.

Why aren't we ruined over this?
Why aren't we crying out to God day and night, repenting of our individualistic ways, imploring Him to do what He would love to do most--make His Church radiant?
(please know that I am asking myself the same questions)

Friends, we are supposed to be a light on a hill!
People are supposed to be drawn to us because of our love,
and we should be learning to live a life of love
through the Church.

I am willing and grateful to give my life away for this end.
(Lord, thank you for forgiving me when I fail in this.)

Why?

Because Christ gave away His life for the same end.
And it's easy to follow such a loving, servant-leader.



image signature

3 comments:

Cheri said...

I sure wish I would have listened and understood this decades ago. Our marriage would have been so much different in the beginning. It is hard to get young people to see this truth. Thanks for sharing.

Ruthi said...

Sarah, I have scanned thru your blog, mostly about Grace from Zunyi-we have our daughter Vicky, home and are waiting for TA for her best friend, our 7th daughter from Zunyi. can you and I email or visit on the guizhou yahoo group about zunyi? Ruthi@midwestingredients.com

eliz said...

Sarah, you are so right. Marry the right man, a man who follows the way a Christian man should biblicaly love his wife. Otherwise it is a long hard marriage. My husband is not a Christian, we have been married 34 years, he tells everyone who asks him; how to have a long marriage; that they should marry someone like me! It hasn't been easy for me, but if my walk blesses him, what can I say?

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger