PAGES

SLIDER

A Journey

Monday, February 23, 2009

The past year-and-a-half has been a journey into the realization of God's deep, abiding love and care for me. It has been a long and difficult road, because for the previous five (or so) years, I had become steeped in fear, and the desire to be approved by others. I tried to conform to other people's thoughts (or what I thought were other people's thoughts) and desires. I let go of God's heart and replaced it with the altar of self-concern and approval from others. As a result, I lost the belief that God truly cared for me. I felt abandoned and alone, when, in reality, it was I who had abandoned God.

But, this amazing God continued to love and pursue me, even when I had turned my back on Him. He offered His full heart, without restraint, because He loves to give, and give, and give, and give.

I have to tell you that this time has been one of the loneliest times of my life. God removed many of my friends from my life during this time. The road to our Lord is not always easy. Sometimes it can be very painful. But God has not left me completely to my self. In fact, it was actually due to the care of my incredible husband that I have been able to receive the love that God so desperately wanted to pour out upon me. Because of David's loving care and full-hearted trust in me, my heart was softened. David's care opened me up to the Father's care.

And though I have not shared any of this up until now, God has used each of you (my blogger friends) to ease the pain of loneliness during this season of my life. I know that God has had me very much alone during this time for a definite reason, but He has also been gracious to give me all of your encouragement and kindness over the past year.

And now, I have to tell you, that I am no longer experiencing the pain of loneliness. God is so very near, so very close. Last night, as I was praying, I felt that He was right in my bones...the very marrow!! Everything that He does is a whisper to me of His amazing kindness and care. He pours out His blessings...pours them out. They are not a trickle...but a flood. And to borrow a term from Heidi Baker, I am "wrecked" by one look from His eyes.

My circumstances have not changed. In many ways, I am still very alone...but I am not alone at all! Jesus is with me. He is with me. And He is with you. He cares for you so deeply. I pray that each of you would know His care..would know His love...would truly experience His kindness...and would be "wrecked" by one look from His eyes.

10 comments:

Tammy said...

Thank you so much for sharing your heart. I can relate in many ways. I'm so glad you are experiencing such a closeness with God and pray that you grow even closer each day.

Love your sister in Christ,
Tammy

James, Dawn and Family said...

It's nice to know I'm not alone. The way your words were put together was the way my heart felt not too long ago. I'm praying for your continued closeness to the Lord. luv dawn

James, Dawn and Family said...

Today a friend came over to share she was at the end of herself. She was sick of trying to be what everyone wanted her to be, she felt as if God had left her and she was "all alone" in a large family, awesome church & at her job...she felt just alive. I showed her your post. As the tears rolled down her cheeks all she could say is "I'm not alone" someone else understands. THANK YOU for being vulnerable. Dawn

Gwen said...

I was very touched by your words. I also struggle with wanting approval from others and I sometimes feel like I'm not a good enough wife, mother, friend, etc..
Your words are an excellent reminder that we need to let go and trust in God. We are never alone!
Thank you! I know we didn't get to know each other very well in China, but I love your blog and am so glad we can keep in touch and support each other!

sarah bess said...

wow, thanks so much for sharing this. I just found your blog and I know I'm going to love coming here. I love it when people will open up and be real and not be ashamed of where they are in the journey.

Jules said...

I am so glad we've reconnected, even if (at this point) it's just through reading blogs! You are a blessing to everyone who knows you.

Wife of the Pres. said...

What an amazing post. Thank you for your transparency and for all of YOUR ENCOURAGEMENT to me!!! I believe that many of us can relate if we are completely honest. I know I can. I also know I need to press in more to Him. Thanks for sharing and for always being an encourager to others. That is a true girl to be able to do that and you exercise it obviously when He ask you to!

Wife of the Pres. said...

uh … meant to say "gift" not "girl" I need to go to bed!!! LOL!

Waitingfaithfully said...

Sarah,

This post is precious to me, and as others have already shared it is also very close to the way my heart has felt in recent months. I love the way you said that you felt God right in your bones. I want that! And after some struggles I feel like I am back on the road to a nearer and dearer walk with my Heavenly Father.

Thank you dear friend for once again sharing your heart. Even in your loneliness the Lord has used you to minister to many of us. You have been such a blessing to me. I can't tell you how often I find myself pondering or further exploring something you have shared about. You give me such food for thought! I am so happy for you for the place you are in.

Zephaniah 3:17 (NIV)
The LORD your God is with you,
he is mighty to save.
He will take great delight in you,
he will quiet you with his love,
he will rejoice over you with singing.

I LOVE that the Lord sings over us!

Sarah, thank you from my grateful heart for sharing yours!

Love,

Tina

Jill and Rick said...

Sarah, thank you. Thank you for sharing your pain and your joy.

Love,

Jill

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger