PAGES

SLIDER

God's daily faithfulness

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

God loves to share His heart with His friends. He loves to give Himself away and to love with abandon. He is enraptured by one simple "glance of our eyes" (Song of Solomon), and in response to that little glance, He gives back more love than we could return in a lifetime.

God has been pouring out His love and kindness to me these past few months. He has been speaking gentle words of encouragement, love and correction. He has been leading me day by day and teaching me to be content with the knowledge of only today.

When we went to China, I took a book by Bill Johnson, called The Supernatural Power of a Transformed Mind. It's an incredible book and, like many of his other books, I highly recommend it. One part of the book that particularly struck me was when he was describing the relationship between his father's ministry and his own.

"We have an obligagtion to build on his ceiling, not to defend and protect what he accomplished, but to take it to its natural conclusion and to walk in realms of dominion that have been made possible because of his sacrifice." p. 167

What a beautiful picture of faithfulness. We have an obligation to build upon the labors of the saints who have come before us. Their ceiling becomes our floor. We do not strive to attain to what they have already done, but we believe God to do even more in and through us because of their faithfulness.

I mentioned the book George Muller of Bristol a couple of days ago. While you may think that, with four adopted children, my main interest in George Muller would be in the way that he cared for orphans. I am very interested in this and I believe that this is truly and completely on the Father's heart. In fact, I had a great conversation with the Lord about this the other day that edified my heart and opened my eyes to see more of how He sees the needy ones of this world.

But, actually, my main interest in George Muller has to do with his daily faith and trust in Jesus to supply his (and all of those in his care) every need. I said in another post that I am just a beginner in learning how to truly trust in God. This is absolutely true. But, I am not satisfied with this. I want George Muller's ceiling to become my floor. I know that this may sound strange, because we all know that George Muller was a great man. But, I don't think that it would honor him (or the Lord!), to say, "Woe is me. I will never be like that." Instead, I think that it gives him honor to truly strive after more of what he was about. I want to daily trust in the Lord in a way that glorifies His Holy Name!

God is speaking to me about this all of the time. I believe that I am to see George Muller as a spiritual father, of sorts. What would he say if he were right here, if he actually were my father? I would love to sit at his feet and learn from him as a daughter learns from her father.

I got another book a couple of days ago called Compelled by Love, by Heidi Baker. Again, God is using this couple (Rolland and Heidi Baker) to serve His most needy ones, and He does it while daily supplying their every need. (Do you see a pattern here? This is actually what the Lord was talking to me about the other day. He LOVES to supply for the needs of the orphan, in particular, because it is then obvious that He is the one doing it!! They have nothing and He gives them everything. How great is that?!)

Of course, another example of this is Mother Teresa. Heidi Baker quotes Mother Teresa quite a bit. These two women are beautiful. They have entrusted their lives to our awesome God and have daily depended on Him for all things. He, in turn, has been faithful. What a God we have! I am praying that all of you have seen the wonder and provision of our God today. May He overwhelm you with His love this very day. Yes, let it be so, Lord Jesus. Let it be so.

4 comments:

Waitingfaithfully said...

Sarah,

I missed this yesterday in my blog roll, but what a wonderful way to start my day today! This is a precious word, with beautiful truths to ponder!

Thank you dear friend for blessing me ~

Tina xo

Difference2This1 said...

Beautiful words! Thanks for mentioning the book by Heidi Baker...after reading the description about it on Amazon, it is now on my list of books I feel called to read soon.

Audrey said...

Thank you Sarah. What beautiful reminder - just what I needed today!

Jill and Rick said...

Sarah, you are an inspiration to me. Thank you.

Jill

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger