PAGES

SLIDER

kids and the world

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

A couple of years ago I listened to David Hazell speak about how to help your children learn to love the people of the world.  Mr. Hazell's family started Our Father's World (homeschool curriculum) and have given a large portion of their profits to Bible translation.  Mr. Hazell said that he never goes anywhere without one of his children.  Because of this, his children truly have a heart for the world.


When we adopted Grace, almost two years ago, God made it possible for all of our childen to go to China with us.  Though we could have saved the money, or even have given it away, I know that it was one of the best decisions that we have ever made to take them with us.  What a joy it was for them to meet their longed-for little sister.  And what a privilege it was to see China and it's people.


So, when Lily asked if she could join me on my trip to India, David and I were happy to pray about it.


And the Lord gave us a definite "Yes!" 


Of course, we knew that it would double the expense.
(But, funny thing, God provided the exact amount that we needed with an unexpected tax return.)


And, He made it clear that the time with Lily would be time well spent.


She would grow.


And learn to love the world even more.


It was clearly another one of the best decisions we have ever made.


Truly, if you have the opportunity to take your children with you (whether it's to Africa or North Dakota),
please seriously consider doing it.

You won't regret the difference it makes in their (and your) lives.
And you won't regret the difference it makes in a world that our Savior dearly loves.

And isn't that the point?

image signature

7 comments:

Gwen said...

Sarah,
I love this post. I'm so glad that God provided the opportunity for Lily to go to India with you.

Our *only* regret about our adoption experience is that we didn't bring at least one of our older boys with us to China. We were such newbies and just didn't think much about it at the time.

I completely agree that the experience would have made a big difference in their lives. It definitely made a huge difference in my life.

So now I think we strive even harder to find ways for our teenagers to serve and love others both near and far.

Love the photos of Lily with the kids!

The Byrd's Nest said...

You know Sarah...I am not just saying this...I really mean this...God is going to something big with that sweet girl. He is working in her heart so strongly right now and you can just feel her love for others through these pictures. I know you must be so proud.

Jenn said...

Lily looks older than her years loving on those children and a natural!! I see such grace in her! So beautiful!

Jenn said...

I was stalking your profile the other day and I noticed that you have under music that you like "Klaus". By chance is that Klaus Kuehn?

Had to ask. :)

Sarah said...

Yes, Jenn. I LOVE his music...he really leads you into worship.

Nikolyn said...

so this is why Sarah Bess wanted us to meet. We have similar passions! I'm Niki and its a pleasure to meet your blog and your family. I'll check in more often! beautiful photos!

Jenn said...

How cool Sarah! He's good friends with both my sister and her husband and Karl's sister and her husband. Such sweet people he and his wife are! I even had the pleasure of going to one of his live recordings. It was for his "Glory" album. So hey, if you've listened to that album, we've worshipped together! HA! :) I also love to just have his instrumental album playing in my house.

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger